I served this for New Year’s dessert. It was gobbled up so fast, I didn’t have time to take a picture but I’ll make it again soon and add a picture. Promise.
I dislike chocolate cheesecake as a rule. I find it too rich but this one, served up with strawberries and whipped cream, was pretty much perfect. I couldn’t believe I actually liked it. I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it is.
Even though it seems like a lot of coffee flavour, what with the Kahlua and instant coffee, it’s not. It lends a really nice taste to this cheesecake and I don’t think it would be nearly as good without it.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces squares good quality semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 9 or 10 inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine the chocolate graham cracker crumbs, butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix well and press mixture into the buttered springform pan, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, mixing until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat at low speed until very smooth.
- Melt the 8 ounces semisweet chocolate with 2 tablespoons whipping cream in a pan or bowl set over boiling water, stir until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture to cream cheese mixture and blend well. Stir in sour cream, salt, coffee, 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Put a metal cake pan half filled with water on the bottom rack of your oven. Bake in the center of oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Center will be jiggly but not wet. It will be soft but will firm up when chilled. Do not over bake. Leave cake in oven with the heat turned off and the door open for 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven and chill for 12 hours.
- Put cream, bowl and beaters in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
- Remove bowl, cream & beaters from freezer. Add cream and sugar to bowl. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form, then add 2 tablespoons Kahlua. Serve on or with cheesecake.
- I also served strawberries with mine because the chocolate and strawberries really enhance each other. This was absolutely delicious.