Preparation: 30mins | Cooking time: 90 mins
This is one of our favorite crockpot chicken recipes. Really easy to put together, and then you simply sit back and let the crockpot or slow cooker do its thing. We’ve made this as a family meal and we’ve made it to entertain friends – it’s suitable for any occasion.
- 1 x 1.5kg roasting chicken, jointed (ask your butcher to do this for you if you like)
- 1 tablespoon of oil (vegetable or sunflower would be ideal)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 4 streaky bacon rashers, rind removed and quartered
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 225g green beans, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 300ml chicken stock (chicken stock cubes in boiling water will be fine)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 225g smoked sausage, sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan, then add the bacon and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika and cook for 2 minutes.
- Put the chicken joints into the pan, coat them with the paprika and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, and add the basil.
- Transfer all this to the crockpot or slow cooker. Cook this slowly for around 5 hours or so. The chicken joints will slowly start to fall apart and take on the delicious flavors.
- Stir in the sausage, green pepper, beans and tomato ketchup. Let it all cook for about another hour. To save time and messing about you can put these ingredients into the crockpot together with the chicken, the pepper and beans just may become a little too mushy. But that’s ok!
- Serve! We like to eat this with some plain rice, easy. This is one of our favorite crockpot chicken recipes, it comes out perfect every time.